Thursday, June 18, 2009

You can't spell demonstration with out "demon"

Yesterday I had what I thought was going to be a "little" pottery demonstration at our public library. But it turned out to be a big one, with over 130 people watching! They told me there would be over 100, but I guess I didn't believe it. Librarians never lie.

It's been gloomy, cool and rainy for days, and even yesterday morning, but when it came time to load everything in the car to go, it was HOT and humid. And after the demonstration when it came time to unload, it was even hotter. Of course after all the work was done, it rained heavily, and cooled everything off. It is my theory that the pottery gods don't look kindly upon self-promotion, or using pottery as comedic performance art, or something? My pottery wheel weighs at least 150lbs. and then there's: clay, tools, a chair, a bunch of finished pottery to have on display, extension cords, water bucket, towel, sponges, and a dolly to carry it all, and it all has to fit in this tiny car (it is not parked in my neighborhood in this picture). It's all heavy, and the wheel is especially awkward to get into the back of the car by yourself. AND IT'S HOT! I'll stop whining, you get the idea.

After I was already running a couple of minutes late, and was half way to the library, I realized that I forgot to get clay. When I finally got to the library, my new studio assistant John Morgan, was there to help me set-up, and it all went very smooth after that. John took pictures, and since he is in one of them, I assume he had some help. I guess I should tell you, I now have a studio assistant/apprentice!My brother's girlfriend Sara Morgan kept telling me that she had a brother who wanted to get into pottery, when I met John we really hit it off. We made a deal to trade his work time for studio time. He's an amazing helper and I think I can help him too. I'm excited to see what he creates in the near future!

Back at the library. At first the crowd of children were all nicely arranged around the tarp, but it soon turned into a cozy little circle, with lots of questions, and requests and fun facts from them, such as, "My dog's name is Jerry." And they asked for great stuff, like, "Can you make the moon?" and pizza, one kid really wanted me to make pizza, and another kid was petting my arm.

At the middle of the demonstration, I stopped to explain some of the ceramic processes, I showed a bisque piece (fired once but has no glaze on it) and it so happens that it was a bowl with wings, that can also be used as a space helmet. So I modeled it for them, with a raygun. (You'll have to click on the picture to see this)

Speaking of RAYGUNS! My good friend and sometimes collaborative partner, Melissa Wickwire has said that she will help me make holsters for my rayguns. I cannot even believe it. I will have so much more fun in the kitchen now with my new raygun salt & pepper shakers! PEW! PEW PEW!

Today, I'm pretty sore, tired, whiny, and lethargic. I have a headache that could kill a normal person, (one without a space helmet). All the excitement yesterday must have been too much. Which leads me to say, you can't spell demonstration without "demon".







1 comment:

  1. Oh Ariane! Only YOU could have handled a day like that with humor and aplomb! I soooo wish I was there to see. I'll bet they all LOVED you. It sounds like a great demonstration and your name will be known around the area like greased lightening!
    HuGGs!
    Debi

    ReplyDelete