Friday, June 5, 2009

Oh the woes of having a small kiln! I'm getting quite the collection of "pieces waiting to be fired", and yet it seems I fire CONSTANTLY! I'm a little nervous about getting the next electric bill! Here's the latest kiln load of finished works. Though my kiln is tiny, I somehow managed to fit all of these in one load.





10" Bowl











This is a piece simply entitled "Stone". As you can see, it has a large turquoise necklace draped on it. Jewelry artist Maria Stiles and I have a couple of shows coming up, and this is one of our promotional photos. I love these two pieces together! Pottery should wear jewelry more often.





















13" Carved Platter

The tree silhouettes are actually carved into the clay, then glazed brown later. This is a very handsome platter, but I think it would look best with a roasted chicken or turkey on it.















"A Pitcher of Wyoming"

I experimented with watercolor techniques for this piece. I especially love the flock of birds "flying off the handle". HA!




















And this piece is of particular significance to me, as it will be the centerpiece at my wedding in a few months. It is wheel-thrown, hollow, and to me symbolizes the idea of two people being individuals and at the same time being joined.





















Carved Brown Vase
14" High


I honestly didn't plan on keeping this one. It came about on a late night, I didn't cover it, it dried out, but I hacked away at it the next day anyway. Then so many people commented on it, I thought what the hell, why not! Now I love it!












This bowl didn't get fired in this last batch, but I'm sending it off to New York next week and I had neglected to get a photo of it. It is 14" across and is a 10- quart Salad/Mixing Bowl, and it is being sent to my good friends David & Iralda Nicholas along with the 10" bowl shown above.

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE "Stone" ; it's just beautiful! The brown vase above is wonderful with rich color and WONDERFUL texture. You know I love texture! I adore the salad bowl and the bowl above. They resemble the pieces you had in the Gala.
    (((HuGGs!)))
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to write that I think "A Pitcher of Wyoming" is wonderful. The touch of the birds flying of the handle is wonderful. I love birds too!!! Are you designing all these pieces for ME??
    (((HuGGs)))
    Debi

    ReplyDelete