Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My wine cups got smashed!


As many of you know, I am not a big drinker, a little wine once in a while or a beer on a hot night is usually my limit. But a lot of folks have requested that I make some wine cups, and so I did. At the same time, I was also trying out some new glaze and I thought it would be nice on the dozen new wine cups I just made, as well as a dozen tall tumblers, and half a dozen space mugs. But to my surprise and their demise, the glaze shrunk more than the pieces, and it literally tore them apart as the glaze cooled. When I opened the kiln, disgust is the only word that comes to mind that even remotely describes how I felt. $#%& *$&^%# %$#@& Would also work.

It was enough to make even me want a strong drink.

Disappointed, but determined, I went back into the studio on Monday and made 18 new wine cups. I threw away all of the broken pieces with a little tear in my eye, then I threw away that glaze, with a little vengeance in my heart. "DAMN YOU DEVIL GLAZE!"

These little frustrations, miss-fires, and poopy glazes are all part of it I guess. And maybe I will eventually get used to it, or get so good that this stuff doesn't happen (that would be nice). But I will say, the sound of shattering ceramic in a dumpster is still a bit of a thrill even after all these years (or beers).

No comments:

Post a Comment